top of page


What you need to know when a bereavement takes place:


When someone passes away at home or in a nursing home


You must inform the doctor/nurse, who will then attend to verify the passing. Once this has taken place, you can contact your chosen Funeral Director to arrange the transfer of your loved one into their care. The doctor will later complete a Medical cause of death certificate to enable you to register the death of your loved one.


When someone passes away in hospital


The doctor/nurse will verify the passing, once this has taken place you may contact your chosen Funeral Director. Who will liaise with yourself to arrange the transfer of your loved one into their care. The doctor will complete a Medical Certificate of Cause of Death. The hospital’s bereavement office will contact you to inform you of the next steps.


When someone passes away unexpectedly


In this case the doctor will report the passing to the Coroner. Your loved one will then be transferred to the Coroners chosen hospital. In these cases procedures are slightly different. The Coroner will ascertain the cause of death and will inform the Registrar in the district where the death occurred. The Coroner and the officers will work in your interest to keep you informed at all times and will ask you for your chosen funeral director.


When someone passes away abroad, or away from home


When this happens, registration has to be completed within the country that the death took place. A funeral director will guide you through this process and arrange to bring your loved one into their care and proceed with funeral arrangements.


How to register a death

When registering a death an appointment needs to be made with the Registrar, this will provide you with the necessary documents required for a funeral to take place.

Who can register:

  • Next of kin or close relative.

  • A person who was present at the death.

  • The person who is taking responsibility for arranging the funeral.


Documents required for registration:

  • Medical Certificate of Cause of Death

  • Birth Certificate (if available)

  • Marriage or civil partnership certificate (if available)

  • NHS medical card (if available)


The Registrar will also need the following information about the person who has passed away:

  • The person’s full name at the time of death

  • Any names previously used, eg maiden name

  • The person’s date and place of birth

  • Their last address

  • Their occupation

  • The full name, date of birth and occupation of a surviving or late spouse or civil partner

  • whether they were getting a State Pension or any other benefits


What the Registrar will issue:

  • The Registrars Certificate for Burial or Cremation (this document is green in colour and needs to be given to the funeral director).

  • The Notice of Death Certificate (this document is for the Department of Work and Pensions)

  • Additional Certified Copies of the Entry of Death (may be required for banks, solicitors and insurance companies, there is a charge for these).

If the Coroner has been informed this process may work differently, we can guide you through the process. If you need any assistance with no obligation, you can contact us on: 01752 210 392

bottom of page